This has been a day that I will never forget. After we found our way to the mall and grocery store (we bought milk in a bag that was at room temperature) we eventually made it to San Mauricio and to our Angie and Camilo. It was great, emotional and the best part ever was that it was just like we had not missed three years of their lives. They had grown and matured in their appearance but they were still them. Camilo so shy and easily embarrassed and Angie who is so full of energy you can practically see the sparks come off of her. We stayed at the orphanage for a while and walked around and Angie and Camilo showed me where they sleep, eat and basically live. Jim and I both felt that the pictures we have seen actually DO it justice. Not that it didn’t appear clean but it was so depressing. Children everywhere (they said that there was 160 there) preschooler being trotted in lines across the grounds. It was sad so sad. We actually went to the baby area where there were about a dozen one to two year olds in a small room that smelled like dirty diapers. They were all over the place watching something on TV. We came in an a little boy walked right up to me and held his hands out so I picked him up and he laid his head on my shoulder and snuggled in. Then little girls went to Jim and he picked her up. Angie finally pried away the boy from me and Jim sat the girl down and said we needed to go. It was hard to see. Then I look at my children Angie and Camilo and see how much they have to contribute to the world and I thank God that we are able to give them a shot at it. It changes a person.
I’m off to finish off the night; I’m exhausted and want to rest up for another day at San Mauricio. Chao.
I’m off to finish off the night; I’m exhausted and want to rest up for another day at San Mauricio. Chao.
No comments:
Post a Comment